BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Post Office: give forwarding address.
- Charge accounts, credit cards.
- Newspaper and magazine subscriptions: notice may require several weeks.
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer funds; arrange for banking services in new city.
- Arrange credit references.
- Notify company of new auto location for coverage: Life, Health, Fire and Auto.
- Gas, electricity, water, telephone, fuel, garbage.
- Obtain refunds on any deposits made.
- Laundry, newspaper, changeover of service.
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories:
- Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals: transfer needed for prescriptions, eyeglasses, Xrays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
- Visit http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/animals.htm to read new requirements regarding pet transportation by air.
And Don’t Forget To:
- Empty freezer, plan use of food.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Remember arrangements for TV and antenna or cable service.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have them moving-wrapped.
- Check with your Moving Counselor; insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping, methods and time of expected payments.
And on Moving Day:
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting of pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
- Let close friends or relatives know the routes and schedule you will travel including overnight stops; use that person as a message headquarters.
- Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds.
- Double check closets, drawers, and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owner with REALTOR® or owner.
And at Your New Address:
- Obtain certified checks or cashiers check necessary for closing Real Estate Transaction.
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, water and garbage.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater, and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask postal carrier for the mail that may be held for your arrival.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Visit city offices or online and register for voting.
- Register car soon after arrival in new state to avoid any possibility of a penalty.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership
- Apply for state driver’s license.
- Register your family in your new place of worship.
- Register children in school.
- Arrange medical services: Doctor, Dentist, Veterinarian, etc.